What Happens If You Don’t Change Your Oil?
Maybe you were on schedule with your oil changes and then suddenly life got in the way. Now you realize that it’s been a long time since your vehicle had its oil changed. Stop procrastinating! While you might be thinking that your car can last a little bit longer on Plant City streets before that next oil change, it may already be suffering the effects of using old oil. Read about what happens if you don’t change your oil below, and then bring your vehicle to Stingray Chevrolet for an oil change!
What Does Oil Do for Your Car?
When driving around Valrico, the oil in your vehicle is a lubricant that keeps the internal components moving smoothly. When you fail to get your car’s oil changed on time, the oil (and your engine) begin to degrade. Debris and dirt will build up inside your engine, which may damage the internal parts. Then, the oil becomes thick with debris and will lose its lubricating properties. Without proper lubricant, your engine’s parts will begin to weld together, making the engine inoperable, and nobody wants that!
How Often Should You Change Your Oil?
So, how often should you change your oil? The timeline for oil changes is different for each vehicle and depends on your driving habits around Brandon. Usually, Stingray Chevrolet recommends that you change your oil every six months or after driving 7,500 to 10,000 miles at the most. However, you should consult your owner’s manual for specific recommendations.
How to Change Your Oil at Home
If you feel as though you just never have the time to bring your car into a service center for a professional oil change, you could start changing it on your own at home. The whole process is simpler than you might imagine. Here’s how:
- Jack your car up with steel ramps or jack stands.
- Locate the oil drain plug on the bottom of your oil pan underneath your engine. Place a basin directly under the plug. Unscrew the plug and let all of the oil drain out completely (this may take up to 15 minutes). After all the oil has drained out, replace the plug.
- Remove the old oil filter using an oil filter wrench. Note: There may be some extra oil that drains when you remove the filter, so you’ll want to have the basin ready to go again if you need it.
- Grab your new oil filter. Rub some new oil around its seal to ensure it’s watertight – this is an essential step.
- Set the new oil filter in place, then tighten it by hand.
- With the old oil completely drained and the new oil filter in place, you can remove your oil cap. Pour in the proper amount of new oil, according to your owner’s manual. Replace the oil cap.
- Check the oil dipstick to be sure the new oil is at the proper level. If it’s low, you can add a little more, check the dipstick again, and repeat as necessary until you reach the right level. Just be careful not to overfill.
Bring Your Car to Stingray Chevrolet for an Oil Change Today!
Now that you know what happens if you don’t get your oil changed, learn “how often should you rotate your tires?” and have multiple services completed at one appointment! Bring your car into Stingray Chevrolet for an oil change today! Smart drivers in Brandon take good care of their cars and we want your Chevy to last a very long time. If you want to change your oil yourself and need a little guidance, we can still help. Call our parts department to get an oil filter, or any other parts you may need for your Chevrolet. You can also schedule an appointment with our service department online to get your oil changed and have your tires checked at our tire center. Check out our service specials and then contact us if you have any lingering questions!
More from Stingray Chevrolet
View Corvette InventoryContact Us The timeless Chevrolet Corvette seems to get better and better every year. The latest Corvette Stingray engine choices are very impressive, with power that can get drivers from Lakeland to Valrico in no time. With the high-octane power and unbeatable speeds that could only be found in a truly iconic sports…
View Equinox InventoryContact Us Drivers from Lakeland to Valrico are gravitating toward the sleek new Chevrolet Equinox. After taking a look at the Chevy Equinox specs, it is no mystery why. This competitive SUV comes packed with plenty of great features at an affordable starting price. Whether you’re looking for a spacious ride for your…
Environmentally conscious drivers around Plant City appreciate their electric vehicles because instead of burning fuel, electric vehicles (EVs) runs on electricity. That means you save time and money by avoiding the gas pump, and you do your part to protect the environment by reducing your carbon footprint. The new Chevy Bolt EV is one of the…