Does Car Insurance Cover Hail Damage?
A thunderstorm passing through Lakeland may be fascinating to watch, but if it starts producing hail, it can wreak havoc on your car, begging the question: “Does car insurance cover hail damage?” The answer depends on the type of insurance plan you have. If you only have liability insurance, then no, hail damage is not covered. Only drivers who have added on a comprehensive insurance plan in addition to their liability insurance will be covered for hail damage. Learn more about full insurance coverage and how you can prevent hail damage with the experts at Stingray Chevrolet, below.
What Does Full Car Insurance Cover?
Every driver is legally required to have liability insurance, but this type of policy only covers damages to the other vehicle if you’re responsible for an accident in Valrico. Drivers who want to have greater peace of mind often opt for “full coverage auto insurance.” While it’s often referred to as its own single plan, full coverage insurance is typically comprised of liability insurance, collision insurance, and comprehensive insurance. Here’s what’s covered by each policy:
- Liability Insurance: As the only legally required car insurance policy, liability insurance takes care of the injuries and damages incurred by another driver/vehicle in the event of an accident in which you’re the driver at fault.
- Collision Insurance: Collision insurance will help cover the cost of damages to your vehicle in the event of an accident, even if you’re the driver at fault.
- Comprehensive Insurance: Finally, comprehensive insurance is a policy that will cover any damage to your vehicle that was not caused by an accident, such as hail damage, a fallen tree, fire damage, theft, and more.
How to Prevent Hail Damage
To prevent yourself from researching “does insurance cover hail damage to car” in the first place, check out these helpful tips on how you can ward off hail damage:
- Don’t have a garage you can park your car in during a hail storm? Depending on where you live and how much parking space you have available, temporary car ports are a great option. There are lots of inexpensive, easy-to-build options on the market.
- Do you receive weather alerts on your phone? If you have a smartphone, tablet, smart watch, or another device that can receive inclement weather alerts, you may be able to find out about an incoming hail storm before it’s too late.
- Cover your car with blankets or a car cover. Depending on the size of the hail, this may not prevent damage entirely, but it can lessen the impact.
- If you’re on the road in Brandon when a hail storm hits, you should pull over to a covered lot, such as a gas station or parking garage, as soon as possible. This will not only help to prevent damage, but also keep you out of harm’s way.
- Use your floor mats: It’s a last ditch effort, but most floor mats are actually pretty thick, especially if you’ve replaced the original carpeted ones with heavy-duty rubber. If nothing else, it can help save a good portion of your hood from dents and scratches.
Trust Stingray Chevrolet for Hail Damage Repair
In the unfortunate event that your vehicle does suffer hail damage, the service center at Stingray Chevrolet can help. Our factory-trained technicians have the experience and finesse to get your beloved car looking like new again. Schedule an appointment online today, or contact us if you have lingering questions about car insurance coverage and hail damage, or other topics like how often to rotate your tires, what causes a car to overheat, and how to unlock a steering wheel.
More from Stingray Chevrolet
Shopping for a fuel-efficient new SUV for your Lakeland family? The new 2020 Chevy Traverse allows you to take the long way home and enjoy the scenery – without worrying about where the nearest gas station is. Depending on whether you opt for front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, the 2020 Chevy Traverse gas mileage will…
Shopping for a capable new pickup truck that can truly handle it all on and off the job? There’s no better option than the new Chevy Silverado 1500! With eight unique 2019 Chevrolet Silverado configurations to choose from, Lakeland drivers will have plenty of options that perfectly suit their driving needs and budget. Learn more…
The 2019 Chevy Equinox trim levels and pricing options provide an excellent compact crossover package to meet the needs of Lakeland drivers. View Inventory Contact Us 2019 Chevy Equinox L — Starting at $23,800 This built-to-order, well-equipped base trim offers a lot of quality standard interior features: Automatic headlights Rearview camera OnStar® with 4G LTE…